Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Happy birthday to me!

Today was a big day – my birthday! Today I turned six.

The celebration started first thing in the morning. I woke up to my first gifts – a street sign that I picked out that says, “Mitch Trail” and a Razor scooter. At first I was so excited about the sign I didn't even notice the scooter. I just jumped around with the sign for a few minutes.



Then our good friends Ethan, Travis and their mommy, Emily, came over with cinnamon rolls so we could have a breakfast picnic. It’s been raining the past couple of days so we couldn’t sit at our picnic table out back because of the mud. So we threw down a blanket and a couple of chairs and had a driveway picnic! It was a blast.



After that, we all headed to the movies. Hazel, Turner and I have never been to a movie theater before, so it was a big deal. Mom thought we wouldn’t make it through the movie, and Miss Emily wondered how Travis would do. But we all did great. Hazel and Ethan sat still and watched the whole time. Travis and Turner did okay. I thought it was fun, but it was a pretty long time to sit still and was ready for it to be over when it ended. For the most part, as long as Turner and I had popcorn, we did okay. We did leave in the middle for a refill, a stretch and to get our wiggles out. Mom and Miss Emily were really impressed with us all.

Next, Mom, Hazel, Turner and I headed for lunch. Because it is my birthday, I got to choose where we went, and I picked Waterloo, one of our favorite haunts. I like it because they have pancakes and a playground. I told Mom I wanted to eat and play outside, so that’s what we did. We missed the pancakes by a half hour, so that was a bummer but we had fun.

We were all tired out after that, and Mom had some birthday surprises to put together, so Turner, Hazel and I took naps and rested. Not long after Hazel and Turner fell asleep, it was time to resume our fun day.

We dropped Turner off with a babysitter and headed to a place called Foodie Kids to enjoy my birthday gift from Oma, a farmers’ market cooking class. When we got there I was surprised to see the teacher I’ll have for kindergarten was teaching our class! It’s her summer job. She said she called them up a couple weeks ago and asked them if she could teach until regular school starts because she’s tired of sitting around her apartment talking to her cats all the time. Hazel and I really thought that was funny and asked her a lot of questions about her cat, including, "Can your cats fly?" because of a song we've been listening to lately called "My Cat Can Fly."

She said she was thrilled to see one of her students, that it really made her day. We were super excited to see her too; it was a birthday gift in itself and made the class even more fun than it would have been anyway. We made hummus, pita bread and smoothies. It was a good time.

When we came home, we had a quick dinner and opened some of my gifts. It's good I had two parties and some of my presents early because I didn’t make it through all my gifts tonight. I was too excited to eat cake and play with the first things I opened, so we’ll spread the rest out across a few days.

It’s good to be six!

1 comment:

Bubbe said...

What a fun birthday! You did so many neat things all day. Wish I could have been there too.
Love, Bubbe