Monday, September 2, 2013

My First Week of Kindergarten



August 26 was my first day of kindergarten. I was really excited to start school. 

I had the chance to get to know my kindergarten teacher last year when I was in preschool, this summer on my birthday when she taught a cooking class I was in, and last Friday at Meet the Teacher day. She is super nice and a great teacher. We also had the chance to check out my classroom and put my supplies away at Meet the Teacher day. So I was as prepared as possible for the big day.

When I woke up in the morning, the first thing I did was crawl in bed with Mom. I snuggled her for a long time. She was very happy I took the time to say hi on my exciting morning.

The day before, on Sunday, I ate a sticky granola bar and the next thing I knew, my loose tooth was gone! While I was eating my granola bar, it popped out and I swallowed it. Mom and Dad told me the Tooth Fairy would understand, and that it happens to almost everybody, so I was okay with it. But I wrote the Tooth Fairy a long note explaining what happened. I also told her it was my sweet tooth, and asked her to bring me something sweet to eat so I could return to normal.

So not only was Monday my first day of school, I woke up to a surprise from the Tooth Fairy. She left me a letter telling me to look in the freezer for my sweet treat. Sure enough, there were popsicles waiting for me, but the Tooth Fairy’s note said I had to wait until after school to eat them, plus I had to share with everyone. I was super excited.

After breakfast, we took some pictures then headed over to school. When we got there, one of the girls in my class, who we knew from incoming kindergartener playground get-togethers we had all summer, ran up to Hazel and hugged her with all her might. She looked like she thought Hazel saved her day. We think she thought Hazel was going to be in her kindergarten class. She and Hazel really enjoyed playing together all summer, and she looked pretty bummed when we told her Hazel isn’t in kindergarten yet.

I had a great morning, and when lunchtime rolled around and we went to the cafeteria, I had a surprise -- Mom was there! Every day, parents volunteer to help kids with things like opening milk cartons and yogurt containers. It makes it so there are enough grown-ups at school for us to have two recesses on the playground. Anyway, Monday was Mom’s day to volunteer. My face lit up in a great big smile when I saw her. Mom was happy to see me too, and thrilled to hear from my teacher that I was having a really great day so far. At the end of the day, Mom explained that she would not be there every day for lunch, just once or twice a month. I had no problem with that the rest of the week.

We spent most of our first day learning a lot of rules and how to do things like how to walk down the hallways and go in and out of the lunch room.

We had a lot of other fun things to do the rest of the week. We had Gingerbread Man Day, when we read a book about a Gingerbread Man, then we had to go look for him. We found him in our classroom, then ate him together. 

We also played fun games like Freeze, Please and had PE twice. At the end of the week, I decided my favorite thing about school is recess, but I explained to Mom that there are a lot of rules, like we can’t scream unless we’re hurt, and we can laugh but not get too wild. 

Another great thing this week is I saw lots of people I knew from the past two years – my old preschool teacher, the principal, and the librarian.

After-school was a learning process for us this week too. Monday I came home really wild. Mom gave me some time to calm down, but we had to go pick up some supplies for my classroom, so we headed to the Dollar Tree and a visit to Petsmart, which was next door, afterward to look at all the animals. Then we headed to Lakeshore. They were quick trips but afterward it was time for dinner and bed, and I had a real meltdown at bedtime.

Then Thursday I had swim lessons at a new swim school right after coming home from kindergarten. It was a disaster. I swam all over the pool disrupting the other classes and hit my teacher over the head with a kickboard five times. Mom was mad that I hit the teacher and was disrespectful but also understood that I need time to unwind after school. So we moved my swim class to Saturday instead, which went great this weekend.

For the time being, we are going to just keep our afternoons clear so I can unwind. Every day this week, my teacher said I did an amazing job all day, and at the end of the week, my behavior report said I was excellent. So Mom and Dad figure if I am doing my job listening and learning all day at school, it’s only fair to let me blow off some steam in the afternoons. It’s tough being away from home all day. When Mom picked me up in the afternoons, a couple of times she asked if I wanted to go home or to the playground at the park. Both times I just wanted to go home. 

Last week was a big one for Hazel and Turner too. They moved up to their next preschool classes! They both did great. They were happy and had no trouble transitioning.

Hazel has the teacher I had this summer. When she came home Monday, she yelled at Mom, “I had more fun than you ever seen!!!”

Turner had a good day Monday too. When he went back Wednesday, he ran to his teacher and gave her a huge hug.

We are all looking forward to week number two!

To see my first day of school pictures, click here

No comments: