Thursday, January 16, 2014

Hazel's huge week!

Hazel had a really big week this week.

First, she stopped wearing Pull-Ups to bed, and hasn't had any accidents!

Then today, she sounded out a couple of words in one of Turner's Llama books. Then after school we went over for a party planning meeting with my teacher at school and while we were in my class, Mom gave her the first book in the set of kindergarten readers, and Hazel read the whole thing with no problem!

Mom flipped out a little, and my teacher sent the first 10 books home with us for Hazel. When we came home, Hazel read the next one too. Dad was excited to hear her read the books again at bedtime.

Mom and Dad have been going through a Learn to Read book with Hazel for the past month or two, but this week, the concept of sounding out new words seems to really have clicked with Hazel. It's fun and super exciting to hear her read so well.

Hazel says she is ready for kindergarten, and I guess all this proves it. One day this week when they were dropping me off in the morning, she ran into the classroom and said she wasn't leaving. My teacher and Mom had to kick her out. She may feel ready, but she isn't allowed to start until August.

We are all really proud of her!

1 comment:

Bubbe said...

I am proud of Hazel too!

Love, Bubbe