Friday, November 7, 2014

Consecration

We all got dressed up, but Hazel forgot
one of her legs!
As if Halloween wasn't fun enough, the next morning we all got up early and headed to synagogue for my consecration. This is a ceremony that marks the beginning of my formal Jewish education. The whole family came - we got dressed up and everything.

It was a pretty fun service. We got pictures taken holding a Torah, we got to sing songs, and then at the end, we each got called up by both our Hebrew and English names and got our very own Torahs. You an actually watch the entire 30 minute ceremony here. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, you can skip to the 28:40 mark which is where they announce my name and I come up and get my Torah.

My Hebrew name is Marnin Chaninah. It means "One who brings joy" and "compassion". Mom and Dad gave it to me because they hoped I would have these qualities when I grow up. So far, so good!

No comments: