Saturday, July 23, 2011

Turner thought this was funny

Turner's had a pretty big week. He has started smiling at himself in the mirror, kicking his feet in the bathtub (especially when Mom tells him to), grabbing and chewing on things (like his arm and hands as well as Mom's), and noticing his hands and feet more. On his four month birthday Thursday he was staring at his hands, so Mom pretended to eat them. And for the first time, he laughed! Mom was really excited and we're all happy he's starting to have more fun.

Hazel and I had fun wrapping up my birthday this week. After a good Monday morning at Leaps n Bounds, where both of our classes and most of the teachers at our school ate my birthday cupcakes, we came home. Hazel took a nap and Mom showed me a fun new doctor toy she picked up for me. She told me about Turner's doctor visit Monday morning and that I had an appointment Friday. In the meantime, it was fun pretending to be a doctor. I liked the toy blood pressure arm band (Mom and my doctor call it an arm hug) and even practiced giving myself, Mom, and Dad shots.

After Hazel's nap, we all had the last cupcakes, then went outside to play with a fun toy, Moon Sand, that Mom and Dad got me for my birthday. We then piled into the car and went to Toys R Us.

I've been telling Mom for a while that I wanted a toy vacuum. She didn't believe me because I am really scared of her real vacuum. Anyway, she finally said I could use some of my birthday money for one. So that's what we got.

I picked out the color I wanted (pink) and gave the cashier the money for it at the store. When we got home, Hazel and I jumped up and down and told Mom to open the box. While she was opening it, we jumped up and down and ran around excitedly the whole time. Then I played with it for two hours straight. Mom wishes it worked because our house would be super clean!

Meanwhile, Hazel played with my other toy, a little shopping cart. Dad says she looks like a bag lady when she pushes it around.

I had my 4 year check-up yesterday.  For the most part, it was actually pretty fun. When we got to the doctor's office, we started by measuring my weight and height.  Boy, have I been growing!  I'm 39.75 inches tall (45th percentile) and 37.5 pounds (75th percentile!). Mom and Dad were pretty impressed.

Next, we played some games so they could test my hearing and eyesight.  I got to say "Beep" whenever the nurse's machine made a beep in my ear.  It was pretty fun, though it took me a little while to figure out the rules of the game.  To test my eyesight they showed me pictures of shapes and I had to say what the shapes were.  Dad thought they should've used letters instead.  Mom said I saw the shapes better than she could with her glasses on.  Anyway, my hearing and eyesight are great.

The doctor also measured my breathing using a stethoscope.  I got to take a lot of deep breaths, which I had practiced when Hazel listened to my heart with my toy stethoscope.

The last part of the appointment wasn't as much fun.  I had to get four shots.  It hurt right when the nurse did it, but I did a good job of holding still and stopped crying right after the last shot.  I made Mom and Dad pretty proud.  The doctor's office gave me four stickers - one for each shot.  Overall, it was actually a pretty fun visit, but I hope I don't need to go back until I'm five.

Here's my latest growth chart, which you can also see on the right side on the blog.

Since the shots, I've been tired and groggy so yesterday and today I took a nap, which I haven't done in a while.

After that, we had more free time than we've had in a while, so Dad suggested we all go to South Austin to Bananarchy, a frozen banana stand. Mom was more excited than I've seen her in a while. I had a banana dipped in vanilla and sprinkles. Hazel had chocolate and sprinkles, and was better at sharing than I was. The banana stand trip was fantastic! Much better than getting shots.

No comments: