Sunday, September 2, 2012

Boy of Summer

Last weekend was my last weekend of summer, and Monday was my first day back to school.

We wanted to send summer out in style, and we had a lot of fun last weekend. Saturday we went to our friend Will's birthday party at the Big Bounce, a place full of bounce houses. We had a great time. They had bounce houses that were shaped like farms, houses, and even trains. Some of the bounce houses had giant slides. Hazel and I went on all of them - no slide was too big or scary for us.  We even talked Mom and Dad into bouncing around with us. Turner crawled around on a few of the bounce houses too. It was a great time and we all slept very soundly that night.

Sunday we headed out front for some driveway fun. Ordinarily we look for more exciting venues than our driveway, but Mom and Dad came prepared with bubbles, sidewalk chalk, and best of all, water balloons.

We put Dad to work filling up the balloons, and he was a good sport about it. Hazel and I chased Mom with the balloons and thought it was hilarious to throw them at the mailbox, while Turner launched them from his favorite perch, his little car. Our neighbors were washing their car while we were out, and Ella squirted us with her hose.  It was a great way to wrap up the weekend and the summer.

All last week I talked about how school was starting Monday, and I couldn't wait to go back and see my teachers and friends. The Friday before school started was "Meet the Teacher," when we went over to my classroom and said hi to my teachers and some of my friends from last year before rejoining them for this school year. It only made me more excited, and all weekend I talked about how I was starting up again Monday.

I am in the same classroom, with the same teachers as last year, but this year I start school two hours earlier. So early Monday morning, we all set off. We live right by my school, so we popped Turner into his little car and the rest of us set off on foot.  One great thing about the new schedule is that most days, Dad can walk with us to school before he heads off to work.

When we got there, I was excited to get started.  There were so many fun games and toys - Hazel sat right down and started playing. She has decided she wants to join my class. In fact, Mom and Dad have had a tough time getting her out of there every morning. Anyway, the next thing we knew, the "time for parents to leave" bell rang so I kicked them out.

When Mom picked me up after lunch, I was as excited as I was when she dropped me off. I jumped up and down for the rest of the day.

Every day when Mom, Hazel and Turner pick me up, Mom asks me how my day was and what we did. Monday, I said, "I have lots to tell you about, but I need to tell you later when I can look at my folder."

On our way to my first day of school.
My teachers send a list of what I do each day home to Dad and Mom, so every day we've been going over it together and I fill in the details. Mom and Dad really enjoy it.

The teachers have also been telling Mom about how I've been doing in class. I'm doing much better paying attention. They are also really impressed with the math skills I picked up over the summer. The other day they told me that we were doing something else in 25 minutes, and I told them that was 1,500 seconds. After they checked their calculators to see if I was right, they were pretty shocked.

At the end of the week, Mom asked what my favorite part of the week was, and I told her I liked working on handwriting best. I've been singing a lot of songs from school too.

We had a fun summer, but I am glad to be back!

For photos of our fun weekend and back to school, click here



1 comment:

bubbe said...

Happy to hear the summer ended on such a fun note. Hope the rest of the school year continues to get better and better each and every day! Love, Bubbe