Monday, October 29, 2007

Frequent Flyer

Another first for me this week. I took my first airplane flight. Mommy, Daddy and I went to Birmingham, Alabama to attend my Dad's cousin's wedding.

The trip started out a little rough. I didn't sleep very well the night before since I was so excited. Then, we had to leave for the airport at 4:30 in the morning. I prefer to sleep during that time. Mom and Dad do too. I finally fell asleep on the way to the airport, and just when I was really having a nice dream, Dad had to wake me up so we could go through security. He spent the rest of the morning grumbling about airport security. Mom was worried Dad was going to mouth off to the airport security people and have to go to jail. After we got through security, it was really fun. We got to ride on an airplane from Austin to Dallas, then hang out in the Dallas airport, and then ride another plane from Dallas to Birmingham. I really enjoyed flying, so I didn't cry at all when we were in the air. It was a good chance to catch up on some of the sleep I missed.

Once we got to Birmingham, I stayed at a hotel. Bubby and Papa (used to be Grandad) brought me a Pack-N-Play and a swing so the hotel room felt like home. In fact, I slept 9 hours my first night there! Mom, Dad, and I were very happy to get so much sleep. I also got to take my first bath in a grown-up bath tub. It was so much fun. I can't wait until I get to do that at home.

It was nice getting to meet all my relatives. I got to meet my great-grandmother, a bunch of my cousins, and some aunts and uncles. I also got to see my Aunt Laurie again. The highlight of the trip was meeting my second cousin Ellie. Ellie is much older than me - she is 6 months old - so she passed on some wisdom to help me get through the next few months. I hope I get to see her again soon.

Most of the wedding events were past my bedtime, so I didn't get to participate in a lot of the festivities, but hopefully I'll be able to attend some more weddings when I get older. I did get to dance with my parents for one song at the wedding. Hopefully, we'll make the wedding video. On our way out of town, I went to a fun breakfast restaurant with Mom, Dad, Bubby, Papa, Aunt Laurie, and Aunt Laurie's friend Jonathan.

Our trip back to Austin wasn't too bad. My cousins Ellie, Mindy, Steve, and Kim were all on my flight, so it was fun. I slept on the plane, mostly, except when the plane sat in the runway in Dallas for an hour with mechanical problems. I offered to go out and fix it, but unfortunately, due to my current speech development, people just thought I was crying.

It was a great trip, but I'm happy to be home again. We're all going to get some sleep. I'll post some pictures from the trip soon.

No comments: