Monday, July 16, 2012

Birthday Week 1

Hazel and I play with one of my new birthday presents
I've decided that we are going to celebrate my birthday for two full weeks. Why not? Everyone loves parties.

To help me celebrate, Bubbe came to town!  We picked her up from the airport on Thursday, and I was excited to show her my new watch, our new dishwasher, and all of the new things I can do. Bubbe brought a bunch of presents with her as well, and we've kept very busy. All of us have had a really fun time with Bubbe this week.

Dinner at Galaxy Cafe
On Thursday night, we went to Galaxy Cafe for dinner.  Dad had never been there before.  They had lots of yummy and healthy things to eat.  Turner ate a bunch of fruit, I ate a burger, and Hazel had mac and cheese.  Hazel and I did a great job sharing food.  Hazel asked me for some of my burger, and I put a giant piece of bun in her mouth.  She happily shared her grub with me too. For dessert, we all shared a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie!  Afterwards, Dad took Hazel and I to a bar to hang out with a work friend he spotted from the street.  We told Dad we weren't old enough for bars yet, so we left.

Dinner at Shady Grove with topiary bear
Friday, we took Bubbe to story time at the library.  After the story was over, we all danced around.  Its not often you can dance in a library.  Then we went to Kerbey Lane for lunch.  It rained a lot that afternoon so we stayed inside and played.

Friday night, the weather cleared so we went to Shady Grove for dinner, where Hazel and I could run around. We ate al fresco, which Hazel, Turner, and I all really like. After dinner, Hazel and I played tag with a bunch of other kids and really wore ourselves out. 

On Saturday, Mom went to work, so we spent the whole day with Dad and Bubbe.  In the morning, we went shopping for groceries, especially fruit.  That's the best thing about summer - all of the delicious fruit.  Bubbe was surprised at how inexpensive the fruit is in Austin.  Hazel rode on Dad's shoulders during most of the grocery store trip so she could spot the best fruit.

Everyone at the pool
In the afternoon, Bubbe and Dad took us to the pool, where Hazel and I showed Bubbe what great swimmers we are. Hazel actually swam by herself on a floating barbell. I swam a little bit with Dad or Bubbe holding on to me. I also played with noodles a lot. Turner was in a little floaty, and spent a lot of time walking around in the shallow end, which he could do in his floaty. We were all having so much fun, we didn't want to leave. But eventually it started getting late, and headed home to meet up with Mom to go to dinner.

Birthday dinner at Ski Shores
We wanted to go someplace we haven't been before so Dad picked out a place called Ski Shores for a birthday dinner. Mom brought a birthday cake for me. It was chocolate and, as I specifically requested, had a chocolate flower on top.  Plus, Mom spelled out my initials in peanut butter M&Ms. The wait for a table was kinda long when we got there, so Mom let us eat our cake first. Dessert before dinner - ya gotta love birthdays! Everyone sang happy birthday to me, and we ate the cake and eventually dinner al fresco again. It was really fun, but a very late night.

Presents!
Sunday morning, I opened some of my presents. They were great. I got so excited that Dad took me for a long walk to help me burn off some energy. After lunch and rest time, Bubbe and Dad took us kids to the Apple Store, where I showed Bubbe how to use an iPhone. We met up with Mom for dinner. After dinner, we were supposed to go to the Round Rock Express baseball game, but the game got rained out. So, instead Mom and Dad went out on a date, and we all played with Bubbe. It was a fun night.

Monday morning was my birthday! When I got up, everyone sang me Happy Birthday! Bubbe gave me a super fun birthday hat to wear and brought along a singing happy birthday bear that mesmerized Hazel, Turner and me. Hazel kept saying she couldn't believe I was five. I told mom it felt the same. After a birthday breakfast at home, we picked up some cupcakes for me to bring to school.

Unfortunately, this week marked the end of Bubbe's stay here in Austin. We were sad to see Bubbe go, but we'll see her again soon. Here are pictures from our week. Coming up for my next birthday weekend, Uncle Daniel is coming to visit and we're having a birthday party! So stay tuned!

1 comment:

Bubbe said...

We had lots of fun. Miss you all already! Have a good birthday week!
Love, Bubbe