Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Time For a Boat Ride

I've always been able to really focus on certain things. Some may call it obsession.  For a while it was letters, then cleaning. Lately, I've really been into adding numbers and also time. I am always asking, "What time is it?" or "What time does Amy's Ice Cream open?" or "What time will we go to the library?"

Saturday I ran some errands with Mom and Turner and I asked Mom, "What time is it?" so many times, she finally said, "Time to get you a watch." So Sunday morning, Dad took me to the store so I could pick out my very own watch. It's a digital watch, since I don't know how to read watch hands yet. I was pretty excited.  I kept telling everyone all day what time it was.

Sunday afternoon we had a special treat.  Mom and Dad took Hazel and I for a boat ride on our friend Will's boat! (Turner stayed home with our friend Ella). You may remember that a few weeks ago Dad and Hazel went to go ride on Will's boat, but it was out of batteries. Well, they got a new battery, and Hazel was ready to go! I wasn't as sure about it. I'm still a bit nervous around the water, and always cautious to try new things. Mom got me a book called "Chico the Brave" to help me understand that I need to try new things. It helped.  I decided I would go on the boat.

By the time we got to the dock, I was getting pretty excited.  Mom let us put our feet in the water while we waited for Dad and Will's dad Bob to get the boat ready. At first I said I didn't want to go in the water, but about 5 seconds later, I was sitting in it while Hazel still only had her toes in. Once everything was set, we hopped on the boat and took off. Hazel sat in the front of the boat with Dad, and I sat in the back with Mom. Will, Bob, and and Will's mom sat in the middle. Mom and Dad weren't sure how we were going to do once the boat got moving fast, but we both loved it! We even loved it when the boat hit big waves and went up and down. I yelled, "Whee!"

We drove around for about 20 minutes (I could tell because I wore my watch!) until we got to a nice quiet cove. Then we anchored the boat and had a nice snack. After the snack, Mr. Bob jumped in the water, and Hazel wanted to go in to. So Dad jumped in the lake and Mom lowered Hazel into Dad's arms. Hazel loved swimming around in the lake. I watched for a little bit and decided I wanted to go in too. So Mom jumped in and I climbed in after her. Hazel and I swam around (we shared the water with some ducks!), played with noodles and a squirter and generally just had a great time. After a while, we got tired and climbed back in the boat. Hazel told Dad that we should get a boat.

We had another quick snack, and then Hazel and I decided we wanted to go in again! This time we went in with Mom and Mr. Bob while Dad took a couple of pictures. Mom and Dad were really proud of how well we did. It started to thunder and lightning in the distance, so we decided to head back after a few hours. What a great time! I hope we can go back soon. I agreed with Mom that's it great to try new things.

No comments: