Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Eight is Great!

By the time my 8th birthday rolled around, I was pretty good at celebrating, thanks to all the fun parties my relatives threw for me on our road trip. Between that and my request not to have a huge party, Mom and Dad had some thinking to do when it came to figuring out a way to keep it small while still making the day special.

We kicked my birthday off by opening a present the night before. Then we started my big day with a surprise – a huge Wild Kratts sign that said, “Have a Wild Birthday Mitch!” -- and more presents. Next, we headed to story time at the park. The librarian from our school read some books and we played with some friends. Then our friends Eli, Alex, Tessa and their mom came over for lunch, cupcakes and a water blaster battle. We chilled out in the afternoon, watching some of my favorite show, Wild Kratts.

Once dad came home, we headed to Rudy’s for dinner. Then we went home for apple crisp, ice cream, and more presents.

Saturday was my last celebration. We invited three of my friends over: Brody, Jacob and Hannah. We played with sidewalk chalk, water blasters, three big empty washing machine boxes we scored from Lowes, and our bounce house. Brody and I drew food chains – mine was a list with arrows pointing to the creatures that eat each other, and Brody’s was a picture of creatures eating the other creatures that prey on each other in real life.

We ate breakfast tacos and watermelon, then decorated big pieces of dirt cake with lots and lots of sprinkles.

It was a great way to celebrate. It was just enough fun, without being overwhelming.

No comments: