Thursday, April 9, 2009

The boy who saved Passover

Mom and Dad have their hands full right now, anticipating my new sister, so they didn't make big plans for Passover. Luckily, I had it under control. I made a seder plate and afikomen bag in school, and we were able to use them in a mini-seder for the first night of Passover. I liked hearing Daddy read the Passover story and eating lots of brisket, broccoli and matzah. Aunt Lauren joined us, so that made it extra special.

Speaking of Aunt Lauren, she came to our house Tuesday night when I was asleep. It was a fun surprise to wake up to her Wednesday morning. To celebrate her arrival, we went to South Austin yesterday. I had a chicken sandwich from my favorite burger place and Mom and Aunt Lauren had cake shakes from Holy Cacao, a new place that sells chocolate treats out of a trailer. The weather was perfect and we sat with Peepa at a picnic table in the shade. It was nice to have lunch outside, to get out of the house, and to enjoy a nice afternoon with Aunt Lauren and Peepa.

Another fun thing we've been enjoying lately is the new cat we've adopted - sort of. Maybe she's adopted us instead. A few weeks ago, Mom took care of our neighbors' cats while they were out of town, and now one of them comes over to visit us almost every day. Matty's not here to bark at her, so I think she's not scared of us anymore. Yesterday Mom and I spotted her through the window so we went out to say hi. We picked a long weed that she liked playing with and pet her. She meowed at us, let us pet her and rubbed her head on our legs. I thought it was so funny, I laughed and jumped up and down, which scared her away. Peepa also likes her and would like to play with her, but she scares the kitty away too. Maybe soon the kitty will understand Peepa and I are just excited to see her.

Today Mom woke up with some ideas of how to help me become a more civilized human being. First she raised my booster seat and served my breakfast at the table instead of on my tray, as usual. I enjoyed my banana, milk and pancake over a place mat with some fun animals on it. Then when I threw the place mat on the floor, she gave me some cantaloupe in a bowl. It was nice to eat at the same place as Mom, but not much different from eating at a restaurant. The really fun part was coloring at the table after I finished eating.

Next, Mom and Aunt Lauren took me outside for something really new - my first haircut!!! Mom was very sad, but she said I was starting to look a little too wild, even for her taste. I had a couple of dreadlocks and she says, while it's fun, I'm too young for that scene. They put me in my booster seat, we went out on the deck, and after wetting and trying to comb my hair, Mom cut it while Aunt Lauren took pictures, advised Mom, held my face and hands and said nice, soothing things to me. I can't say I loved the experience, but I didn't totally freak out, as Mom was expecting. After they were done, Aunt Lauren took me to the mirror so I could check out my new look. I can't say I noticed a difference, but Mom said I look like a big boy, not a baby anymore, and she thinks it's still pretty curly. She's kind of sad, but said I look nice and will be cooler in the heat this way.

Here are a few pictures from Aunt Lauren's first day here, breakfast at the table and my haircut.

1 comment:

Bubbe said...

Mitch, I'm proud of you for helping with the Passover seder. Remember it's not how big the seder is--it's sharing it with your family--and you did that. I also liked your new haircut. I remember when your dad got his first haircut. I wasn't as brave as your mommy--I took him to a barber! Tell your Aunt Lauren I said hi and y'all have fun while you're waiting for your little sister to arrive. Love, Bubbe