Saturday, August 15, 2009

Merman

Today was a super fun day! We got up early this morning and Mom's friend Zhenya came over. She was there to watch Hazel while Mom, Dad, and I went out on a ski boat on Lake Travis. Austin hasn't been getting much rain lately, so the lake is very low. In fact, its the lowest it's been in more than 20 years. All of the public boat ramps are closed. But Dad's friends Bob and Carrie have a boat in a private marina, so we could still go out.

When we got to the dock, Mom noticed that we were parking our car in a spot that is normally 30 feet under water. It was pretty surreal. The area where the lake used to be was full of dry rock. Mom said it looked like a nuclear wasteland. The good news is that there was still plenty of lake left for us.

We loaded up the boat pretty quickly and headed out. With all of the public ramps closed, there were very few other boats out - we had the lake almost to ourselves, which was nice - smooth water and plenty of room. Bob drove the boat slow so I could get used to the boat. I loved it! There was so much to look at and see. Occassionally we saw another boat that I could point at, but mostly we looked at the houses and docks along the shore.

When we got to a cove, we stopped the boat, and Dad, Bob, and I went swimming in the lake. I got to wear my new life preserver. Everyone we very impressed at how good I was at wearing it. I didn't fuss at all. I really liked being in the water with Dad, who said I am so good in the water, I am a merman. We swam and splashed and played with floating tubes. Eventually we had to leave, but I had a great time. I fell fast asleep on the car ride home.

After a quick bath and lunch, and a little playtime at home, we were off to a party! This time Hazel came with us. It was a housewarming party, and there were tons and tons of kids my age there. They had lots of toys for me to play with. Hazel liked looking at all of the other kids. My favorite thing to play with was the water dispenser on the front of the refrigerator. I loved pressing it and watching water go all over the floor. They also had some stairs on their patio that I liked walking up and down. I'm getting really good at walking up and down stairs. For lunch, we had hot dogs and corn, and since I ate a whole apple the other day, Mom let me eat the corn right off the cob!

Mom and Dad were impressed with how well I played around the other kids. Sometimes they came up to me and grabbed my toys, but I just found new toys. I also shared my toys with other kids too, by handing them to the other kids. We all agreed that it was a tiring but very fun day.

You can see pictures from our trip out to the lake here.

No comments: