Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The best of times, the worst of times

We've had a crazy couple of weeks around here. There have been lots of changes.

First of all, Hazel's done with breastfeeding! Her last day was Saturday, August 21. It was probably sadder for Mom -- who is very proud of Hazel but thinks we are both growing up too fast -- than it was for Hazel, who is doing great without it. She looked around for it a few times the first day or so but otherwise doesn't seem to notice it's gone.

The other big change is our school situation. I am now going every day to a preschool program. It's still only three hours at a time, and I am loving it! My new teachers and friends are great and there are lots of activities and toys that have to do with my favorite thing -- the alphabet. I like it so much, I don't even look back to say bye when Mom drops me off and most days I don't want to come home at the end of the morning!

Another very cool thing about my new school is it's right up the street, so close we can walk in the mornings. Most mornings Mom takes me, but sometimes we all go. It's a fun walk. We like greeting the crossing guard and Hazel likes waving at everyone we pass. It's still too hot to walk home at the end of the morning, but twice it's been "cool" enough (or we have been crazy enough) to try it. We're ready for some cooler weather, which probably won't happen until October, so we can walk both ways every day.  I can't wait. I get mad when Mom shows up with the car.

Meanwhile, Hazel's taken my old spot at Leaps n Bounds twice a week. She isn't crazy about it and cries when Mom drops her off. She's too little still to appreciate how fun school is.

We had a rough weekend. With all our new school attendance, someone brought home a tummy bug. Hazel threw up all Friday night, and recovered almost immediately. Then it was my turn Sunday afternoon and Mom's turn Sunday night and Monday. It took me until Monday afternoon to return to normal and Mom is still sore and tired. Dad hasn't really come down with it yet, although he's been tired and achy, and we're still crossing our fingers it doesn't hit him. It was a rough few days.

Despite that, we made it to some fun birthday parties Saturday and the pool Sunday morning, when everyone was feeling okay or not known to be sick yet. It's hot and all the birthday parties were outside with splash pads. Click here to see pictures Elizabeth's daddy took at her fourth birthday party, which featured a pinata and, as you can probably tell, delicious cake.

Here are some funny pictures of our latest adventures at home with Hazel's new shoes, watermelon popsicles and a boo I got at school today.

1 comment:

Bubbe said...

I'm sorry that everyone has been sick. Hopefully, everyone is better now. I loved Hazel's new shoes, and she is starting to look so grown up--just like you! Your school sounds like fun, and I know you are learning a lot there. Hazel just has to get used to her new school; it took you a little while too to get used to being at school in the morning. Love, Bubbe