Monday, July 23, 2007

Brit Milah

Today I had my Brit Milah. For those who don't know, Jewish boys have their circumcision on the 8th day of their life. This is called a Brit Milah, or more commonly, a Bris. This is a 4000 year-old tradition, and is the oldest practiced religious rite in the world. The Bris is also when a Jewish boy is formally named.

During the ceremony, my Grandad told a wonderful story about Myra Francis Cohn, my Great Aunt that I'm named after. She was a really nice girl who unfortunately died when she was 18. She was a collector and real sweetheart, and my Grandad is very proud that I'm named after her.

Then, my Mom talked about where my middle name Washburn came from. She said the Washburn name is centuries old, and that my great-grandfather Pop said that the Washburns were known for tenacity and overcoming challenges. She says that she hopes I have these qualities. The Washburn family is very proud that I am carrying on their name. I can't wait to meet the rest of them soon.

Dad then talked about my Hebrew name, Marnin Chaninah. It means "One who brings joy" and "compassion". He said my parents hope that I have these qualities I have when I grow up.

I slept through the whole ceremony, but I'm sure I didn't miss much. You can check out pictures here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, little guy! :P

Love the blog! :D

-Ellen