Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Fourth!

Today we celebrated our freedom by spending the 4th of July outside. I started my day with a nice breakfast out at my new picnic table, which is one of the birthday/Hanukkah presents Grandma and Grandpa got me and Hazel. It was fun. Mom thought I'd just jump up and run around but I surprised her by sitting still and eating my breakfast the whole time. She thinks I must have learned this at school. I was happy to see Mom learned her lesson and didn't try sitting on my table this time.

Next, we all decorated our wagon and our necks and headed down to the park for the Milwood neighborhood parade and Fourth of July party. It was a really great time. We wanted to be in the parade but since it's so hot and Hazel is so little, we skipped that part and just went straight to the park where the parade ended and the party began. When the parade showed up, it was led by a firetruck, kids on bikes, a tractor, a pony, a juggler on a unicycle, families with wagons, and parents on bikes pulling kids in bike trailers. Lots of people were dressed up in patriotic costumes and we saw many (hot) dogs. At the park, we were entertained by the 40 piece Austin Civic Wind Ensemble and did some great people watching. I really enjoyed the music - I clapped and snapped along and especially liked the big drums. Dad found cheeseburgers for us all! I ate lunch in my wagon and cooled off by dumping water on myself, which Mom said was a very smart thing to do. I also liked looking at all of the other kids running around.

Hazel had a fun time too. She came out of her stroller at the park and sat on Mom and Dad's laps watching all of the craziness. She is definitely getting more alert and was clearly paying attention to all of the activity. Mom and Dad picked up snow-cones on our way out, but they didn't share any with me.

For pictures of our Fourth of July fun, click here.

1 comment:

Bubbe said...

What fun you had! I remember Papa and me pushing your dad in a stroller in a neighborhood 4th of July parade when he was about your age. Hope you enjoy camp this week. Love, Bubbe