Thursday, July 2, 2009

Camp and the Cones

This was my first week back at camp, and it was filled with excitement. Tuesday was my first day. When we got there, we found out that I am now in the Cardinal room. There was a flag with a pretty red bird hanging outside my classroom door. That morning there was a thunderstorm outside, so we played in a big room called the block room. I was sad and cried when Mom dropped me off, but my teacher gave Mom a report when she picked me up at the end of the day that said I was happy in the morning, had a good day, ate some of my lunch, and enjoyed listening to music, playing in the home center, and looking at the rain out the window.

I had a little trouble going down for a nap, the teacher told Mom. She said it took me about 20 minutes to fall asleep but then I slept for 2 hours, until they woke me up to go home, unlike most of the other kids. Mom said my teacher doesn't know what a hard time falling asleep is - 20 minutes is nothing. Anyway, sleeping on my nap map for my naps and when I go to bed at night the past few weeks has really helped. Also, I brought my duck and monkey to sleep with at camp, so that also made it a lot easier to sleep in such a strange place.

When Mom picked me up, I wrapped my arms and legs around her leg like a monkey on a tree. We went to the Parenting Center afterward and I didn't leave her side. Wednesday morning we went to a playdate at my friend Ellie's house, and again, I stuck pretty close to Mom. Mom thinks I was worried she was going to leave me since she left me at camp Tuesday.

Today was an even better day at camp. It is sunny and HOT out, so we started the day outside in some little pools like I have at home. Daddy dropped me off because he has a couple days off work for the holiday and I didn't cry or anything. The teacher's note today said I felt happy, had a GREAT day and ate some of my lunch. I enjoyed going down the slide, playing in cars, cooking in the home center and dancing in the block room. I had a much easier time going down for my nap and slept for 2 hours. She said I'm a sleeper! They also pointed out that all the boys in my class have curly hair. I am the youngest in my class (again).

At the end of the day, Mom, Dad and Hazel all picked me up. When they got there I was still asleep so Mom woke me up. To celebrate my first week of camp, we headed downtown to eat frozen bananas at a new place called Bananarchy. Unfortunately, they moved (I guess that's bound to happen when you want to eat at a place that has wheels) and we didn't know where their new location is, so we went to a place called the Mighty Cone instead. Hazel slept through it all and Mom and Dad had a brownie, a chicken cone, and a milkshake, which they shared with me. Yum! Unfortunately, the Mighty Cone won't have t-shirts for 10 more days. One of our goals for the 4th of July weekend is to find the frozen banana stand, so stay posted to find out whether we succeed.

Click here for pictures of our trailer cuisine tour of Austin -- so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bananarchy will be in the Jack and Adam's biccles parking lot on July 4th. It's their nw location.

Bubbe said...

Mitch, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying camp. I guess after spending all of that time with Mom and Dad while you were in Pennsylvania, it was hard for you to get used to camp again, but you'll be having lots of fun there. I'd like one of those Mighty Cone t-shirts when they come in--they look pretty cool! Have a Happy 4th! Love, Bubbe

Anonymous said...

OMG, I wish Atlanta had a Bananarchy and Mighty Cone. Can I get one of those t-shirts too? I'll always be a Cone, even when I become a Gaby.

Love,
Aunt Laurie