Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring break is in the air

This week I had off for spring break, and we had a really great time!

Mom had a work deadline Wednesday, so Monday morning Hazel went to school, Turner napped and I worked on my puzzles while Mom wrote some articles. That afternoon, we made up for our downtime and celebrated some perfect weather by going to the Arboretum. After a treat at Amy's Ice Cream, the best ice cream in town, we took a hike. My teacher told Mom about a trail leading to a duck pond, so we headed out there. The path was a little uneven and steep so we had to ditch Turner's stroller at the top of the trail (Mom carried him the rest of the way; he didn't crawl down).  When we got to the bottom, it was nice. There was a big pond with ducks and turtles, a walkway around the pond, grassy areas and picnic tables. There were also lots of big sticks, which Hazel and I always like. We decided we'll be back!

Weeks ago, forgetting all about my upcoming spring break, Mom had made plans for Hazel and Turner to go to daycare this Tuesday so she could work. Last weekend she realized I'd be home that day, and she asked me if I wanted to stay with her and play quietly so she could work or if I'd like to go to daycare too. I really wanted to stay home, so she let me. She was very impressed with how well I played while she did her work, and how much she was able to accomplish with me in tow. We still had a nice day together. We blew bubbles together, had a nice lunch, and I hung out in her office with my puzzles and books. I also played with Hazel's Play-Doh cakemaking set from Valentine's Day. I was excited to not have to share with anybody for a change! Mom liked the extra one-on-one time with me.

By the time I woke up Wednesday, Mom had finished all her work, Dad left on a business trip, and it was time for FUN! Wednesday morning we went to Boggy Creek Farm. It was fun and our neighbor Ella came along. We liked seeing the plants that were growing, I liked talking about the chard and kale we got (I like greens in my smoothies), and the chickens were fun to watch. Most of all though, we liked playing in the dirt. I found the front of a dump truck with a rope tied to it and pretended it was a hose. Mom thought the Frankentruck was creepy but it was the most popular toy in the dirt pile. I was wearing my Red Sox shirt and a guy with a Red Sox hat came up and talked to us. He told Mom, "You gotta start 'em young." Later in the day, Mom asked Hazel what her favorite part of the farm was and she said, "That Ella was there." We all hope Ella will come on more field trips with us.

Turner is teething again
After some quiet time, that afternoon we headed back downtown for dinner. We went to a place called Maoz for dinner. Mom got a huge salad with falafel that we all shared. She gave Turner hummus, garbanzo beans and beets. When she first gave him the beets, his entire being lit up and he opened his mouth wide for more. Turner loves beets!  After dinner, we went to Rita's for Italian ice and frozen custard. We got two -- one for Wednesday and one for Thursday -- and took them home.Unfortunately, I was not behaving very well Wednesday afternoon and finally Mom said enough. I wasn't allowed to have any of the Rita's Wednesday night. I learned my lesson though. Thursday I was angelic and had a whole bunch of it after dinner that night.

Thursday morning we headed out to get new shoes. Our old ones didn't fit anymore and we needed new ones for summer. I got some blue sandals, and Hazel got some pink ones.  We like them a lot.  We headed home for lunch and a short nap, then went to a doctor's appointment for Hazel. More on that later, but Mom was proud of us all because we behaved so nicely all day long.

Turner had a big achievement Thursday. When we woke up that morning, Mom and Hazel tried to teach him how to clap. He wouldn't do it. Then about 8 hours later, when Mom was talking to the nurse at the doctor's office, he started clapping like crazy. Mom could hardly believe her eyes and Hazel was excited to have taught him something so important.

Friday we prepared for Dad's homecoming. Mom and I wanted to plant a garden so we went to the nursery. We never went to Countryside Nursery before, and when we got there, we were excited because it was so big and fabulous. I liked looking at the plants and helping Mom carry things.

After that, we picked Hazel up and went to my favorite place, the Apple store. When we told Hazel we were going there, we had to explain to her that it's a computer place because she thought we were going to get apples to eat. When we got home, we started working on our garden and were happy to see Dad when he walked in the door!

Dad brought us some goodies from his trip.  He brought cookies shaped like airplanes, and also some yummy dried fruit from Trader Joe's, which we don't have in Austin.  He also got Mom some treats from there.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! In honor of our Irish heritage, we made corned beef and wore green shirts!

Check back tomorrow for photos of our spring break week!


No comments: