Monday, December 15, 2008

New Parenting Opportunities

Dad has an on-going joke at work that whenever he wants to give someone a lot of work, he calls it an "opportunity." Well, this weekend Mom and Dad had some new parenting opportunities.

It started on Friday night. A little red dot on my face near my neck appeared around a month ago and has grown slowly since then. On Friday afternoon, it caught on my coat and started bleeding everywhere. While I was perfectly happy and not in any pain, it distressed Mom and Dad quite a bit to see me running around with blood pouring out of my face, all over my clothes, the carpet, the walls, and everywhere else. Mom and Dad tried to stop the bleeding, but after a few unsuccessful hours, we all went to the doctor's office. Unfortunately, there was only a nurse-practitioner there, and she wasn't very helpful - she did help stop the bleeding by taping some gauze on the wound. All she could tell my parents was that we needed to see a pediatric dermatologist. Unfortunately, there is only one in all of Austin, and they probably can't see us until January, so tomorrow I'm going to the regular dermatologist, who also sees kids.

Sunday we met up with my cousin Amy for lunch at Chuy's, gauze on my face and all. Amy and her friend Adam were very nice. It was a nice day so we ate outside and were having a very pleasant lunch until a bird pooped in Mommy's food. It even splashed on Daddy's face. Amy said it was good luck but Mom and Dad weren't so sure.

When we got home, I decided I didn't like my lunch so much after all, and projectile vomited all over the inside of the new car. It was my first real throw up! I tried to hold it 30 more seconds until we got out of the car, but I couldn't make it. Oh well. Mom and Dad tried to clean me up in my bath, but that resulted in the gauze coming off and I started bleeding everywhere again. While Mom and Dad were trying to stop the bleeding, our dog Peepa saw the open garage door and took off to explore the neighborhood. Luckily, some nice people in the neighborhood found Peepa and returned her to our house before we even knew she was gone. They were probably pretty concerned when Mom showed up at the door with barf and blood all over her.

This morning, Mom and Dad tried to figure out how to put the car seat back together; they had to take it apart to clean it. The car still smelled, so Mom had more cleaning to do - Dad wondered if it will ever be the same and says this is why he doesn't buy new cars very often.

In the meantime, I have this gauze on my face. It doesn't bother me at all - I've been really happy the past few days - except when they have to take it off. That tape hurts when they rip it off, but Mom and I found some new tape today that shouldn't hurt. And I surprised Mom this afternoon by barfing again, this time in my playpen, which was easier to clean up.

Mom and Dad feel like this was a pretty challenging weekend. They are hoping they don't have any more parenting "opportunities" over the next few weeks and that I start feeling better soon.

1 comment:

nopinkhere said...

Oooooh!
Sorry guys. What a way to christen your new car.
They always look so puzzled when they throw up too.
Hope you guys get all better soon.