Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

This week, we are on the East Coast visiting some of our family. All last week, Mom and Dad kept telling me we were going to have an adventure, and boy, were they right!

After lunch Wednesday we got in the car and went to the airport. After a quick trip through airport security, we were on a plane and in the air. I sat with Dad and Hazel sat with Mom. Since I'm not two years old until next month, my parents don't have to buy me a ticket yet, so we had only two seats for the four of us. We weren't allowed to all sit together because the airline only allows one lap child per row. Dad was looking forward to showing me what the land looked like during takeoff and landing but I was more interested in the button that adjusts the seat. During the flights from Austin to Chicago and Chicago to Harrisburg, I did great - much better than everyone expected. I read the safety manual, played with the headphones, tried to push the button to call the attendant, and made friends with the nice man in the seat next to me. He showed me pictures of his granddaughter, who is my age, on his computer. The second flight wasn't full, so I got to have my very own seat next to Dad - I really liked that. When we finally got to Grandma and Grandpa's house, it was late at night, but I was excited to see everyone.

Since we've been in Pennsylvania, we've done lots of fun things. Hazel and I have seen lots of relatives: Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Lauren, Uncle Daniel, my great-grandparents (Gigi, Mom-Mom and Pop), my great aunt, and my first cousin once-removed Molly. I have eaten cheeseburgers in three of everyone's favorite places - Grandma and Grandpa's patio, the Tropical Treat, and the Famous Hot Weiner. We have also seen lots of animals: kitties, goats, guineas, sheep, horses, cows, chickens, and a really fast rabbit. I have had lots of time to play in wide-open space outside. Grandma set up plenty of fun things for me to do: tons of toys and books, a sandbox, swimming pool, and a picnic table that Mom sat on and broke. Even playing with the hose is fun! We also played with a wagon and a bag full of soccer balls, basketballs, footballs and volleyballs. It has been loads of fun running through the field that is their backyard.

This morning we moved on to our next adventure - Maryland! Grandma and Grandpa are living in a condo here for the year because of Grandpa's job, and their boat is here too. To get there, Mom, Dad, Hazel, and I had a 3 hour car ride, which mostly went pretty well. Hazel slept most of the way and I enjoyed looking at the scenery. But the last five minutes of the ride things fell apart. Mom didn't realize how close we were so we stopped to feed Hazel and found that my diaper had leaked. We were happy when we learned we were almost at Grandma and Grandpa's new place.

Since today was Father's Day, we gave presents to Grandpa and Dad. We gave Grandpa a card that I made, a "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirt, a picture of all of us, and some Rudy's barbeque sauce. We gave Dad a mug he can use at work - it has pictures of all of us on the side, and of course a card that I made. We also got a present for Papa in Atlanta, but since he hasn't opened it yet, I can't tell you about it here and spoil the surprise.

We are going to spend a few days down here in Maryland, and then head back to Pennsylvania for a few days before going back to Austin on Saturday. I think we will have lots of fun here. We'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Bubbe said...

I am so glad to hear that you are having such a wonderful time. It sounds like Hazel and your mom and dad are also having a great time. It may be hard to go back to your regular routine at home after all of the neat things you are doing! I hope your trip back home is as smooth as it was getting there. Love, Bubbe