Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Why We Use Cloth Diapers

I get to wear cloth diapers. A lot of people ask Mom and Dad about it, so I thought I'd write a few posts about how it works and why we chose to do cloth diapering. In the first part of this series, we'll cover why we use cloth diapers. I'll write other posts about why we chose to use a diaper service, how cloth diapers work, and how its going so far.

It all started before I was born, when Dad starting talking to people about how many disposable diapers newborns go through. He was amazed at the numbers, and worried about all of those diapers going into a landfill. He started researching on the internet to see if anyone else had concerns. That's when he learned about cloth diapers. Cloth diapers, unlike disposables, can be washed and reused, so it doesn't just take up space in a landfill. There were some studies published by the disposable diaper companies that the water and detergent from washing the cloth diapers has an equally detrimental impact on the environment, but those have all been disproven by more impartial studies.

That's when Mom started asking around about this to some of her friends. She learned that a lot of Austin Moms were using cloth diapers as well. Mom liked it because it wouldn't expose my bottom to all of the chemicals that are in disposable diapers. And babies with cloth diapers know instantly when they are wet or dirty, so I can let Mom and Dad know right away when I need to be changed. Because of this, babies with cloth diapers often get less diaper rash and typically potty train earlier than kids in disposable diapers.

I've heard that some people think cloth diapering will get harder when I get older since I, um, will have more to fill the diapers with. It's a good thing that my parents are flexible. Right now, we all love cloth diapering, and we'll continue to do it as long as it works for us.

Currently, Mom and Dad use a cloth diaper service. I'll tell you why in a later diaper series post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitch your Mom wore cloth diapers too. for the same reason. She had a diaper service too.

They are softer too. Grandma

Anonymous said...

Cloth diapers get easier the older babies get because mommies get better at changing them, and better at dealing with them! I know because my kids wore cloth diapers too!

Barb.