Friday, June 20, 2008

How Cloth Diapers Work

This post is part of a series about my experience wearing cloth diapers, which I decided to include in my blog because a lot of people ask Mom and Dad about it. In a previous post, I talked about why we chose cloth diapers. In this post, I'll tell you how they work and how it's going so far.

First, for those of you who were wondering, no, we don't use pins. Instead, we hold everything together with something called a Snappi. It just clips on to the diapers, like an Ace bandage clip. It's really easy, and Mom and Dad can really change me fast with them. The cloth diapers are pretty absorbent, but Mom and Dad usually use two of them, just to make sure nothing soaks through. After they put on the diapers with the Snappi, they cover the diapers with a diaper cover. The diaper cover is water resistant, so it keeps me from leaking. The diaper covers have simple velcro attachments and come in solid colors as well as fun designs.

So far, the cloth diapers are working great. I go through a lot of diapers a day. When I was first born, we went through about 230 a week. Since I wear two at a time, that works out to around 115 changes a week! At 11 months, I wear about 95 per week. That's probably more than I would use if I was wearing disposables. Since I feel it right away, I can let everyone know when I need to be changed.

Right now, we all love cloth diapering, and we'll continue to do it as long as it works for us.

No comments: