Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

We had a very exciting Mother's Day Weekend. Since this was Hazel's first Mother's Day, we'll start with her. She's gotten a lot of really cute clothes from friends and family, so Mom took a bunch of really cute pictures of her - some of her sleeping, some of her with her little feet in Mom's hands. One day last week, Hazel wore a dress for the first time (yellow with cherries printed on it), so we took a picture of that too.

At lunch on Saturday, Mom and Dad had burgers that Dad grilled, while I had some casserole. But Mom noticed me staring at her burger, so she gave me it to see if I would take a bite. A few seconds later I had finished the whole thing! Mom and Dad never cease to be amazed at how much I can eat. I LOVE cheeseburgers.

Saturday evening, my cousin Amy and her friend came to visit. Amy lives in Washington DC but came to visit Austin for a party, and to see me and meet Hazel. She was fun to play with - she even let me put on her shoes. We took some cute pictures of me with Amy, and Amy with Hazel. Amy's family also got me a neat Scanimation picture book that I really like, and they got Hazel some books.

For Mother's Day, Hazel and I made Mom breakfast in bed. Okay, not really - we're still a few years too young for that. But, I did make Mom a handprint in school, and gave it to her for a Mother's Day present. Mom said its her favorite thing that I've made so far. Dad, Hazel, and I also gave Mom a Snuggie for Mother's Day, because nothing is as useful during an Austin summer as a warm blanket.

As a treat for Mom, we went to Amy's Ice Cream Sunday afternoon. Everyone came - Mom, Dad, me, Hazel, and even Peepa. We really wanted to test our new car by fitting all of us and the double stroller. We fit pretty easily. It was a fun trip. In addition to sharing his ice cream with me, Dad saw his friends Kristin and Phil, who have a son Noble, who is a year younger than me. It was nice to see them again.

Unfortunately, Mother's Day ended on a bit of a sour note. Mom noticed I wasn't really being myself late in the day, and sure enough - I had a fever and a rash. It got worse throughout the night, and I had a lot of trouble sleeping. I also lost my appetite, which confirmed Mom and Dad's worries. We went to the doctor Monday morning, who thinks it's a viral infection that will pass by Thursday or so. In the meantime, I am taking various medicines to help control the fever and other symptoms. The good news is that Dad gets to stay home with us for a few extra days. The bad news is that the doctor told Mom and Dad that they have to keep me away from Hazel so I don't get her sick. Mom and Dad aren't quite sure how to do that.

We'll post more updates as soon as I am feeling better. In the meantime, you can see pictures from the past week here.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Those warm blankets can come in handy when you go into the buildings that have the AC set at 60 degrees during the summer. I used to have to carry a sweatsuit to an 8 am summer school class because the room was so freezing, but outside it was 80+ degrees at that hour.

Aunt Laurie said...

Oh no! Mitch, you have to feel better by this weekend - we are looking forward to playing with you and meeting your sister!

Love,
Aunt Laurie (and almost Uncle Jonathan)

Bubbe said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend until you got sick. You can't be well all of the time, but now it's time for you to get better so we can all have fun together. And I loved the presents you got your mom. Love, Bubbe